Dale L. Buchanan
He worked as a staff attorney for the Social Security Administration, at first in the Los Angeles area and then in Chattanooga, from 1975 until 1983. He was admitted to the Tennessee Bar in 1982. In 1983, Mr. Buchanan went into private practice as a sole practitioner, primarily representing disabled claimants before the Social Security Administration. Mr. Buchanan has represented thousands of claimants at administrative hearings and thousands before the Social Security Administration's Appeal Council. He also represents plaintiffs in the United States District Courts in the Northern District of Georgia and in the Eastern and Middle Districts of Tennessee, as well as before the Sixth and Eleventh Circuit Courts of Appeals.
Mr. Buchanan is a sustaining member of the National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives (NOSSCR), the Trial Lawyers of America, and both the Chattanooga Bar Association and the Federal Bar Association, with over 31 years of experience in Social Security law. In 1994, he received the Southeast Legal Services pro bono publico award.
Mr. Buchanan is a retired Lieutenant Colonel in the United States Marine Corps Reserve Unit in Chattanooga. Mr. Buchanan continues to represent veterans in veterans' appeals cases in addition to the disability cases he handles.
Areas of Practice
- Social Security Disability Law
- Veterans Disability Law
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- Mercer University, Walter F. George School of Law, Macon, Georgia
- J.D. - 1975
- Washington State University, Pullman, Washington
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives
- Trial Lawyers of America
- Chattanooga Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
Pro Bono Activities
- Southeast Legal Services pro bono publico Award