Free Consultation- 800-945-4950

Do I need to report my income when I get SSI benefits?

Tennesseans who receive Supplemental Security Income may know that the program is designed for those who are aged, blind or disabled and in financial need. Since the program is based on how much money the recipient has available, there are certain requirements when it comes to reporting wages. Failing to adhere to these requirements could result in the loss of benefits under this Social Security disability program.

At the beginning of every month, the SSI recipient will report his or her earnings to the Social Security Administration. Expenses that the person pays to be able to work are also factored in. The more money a recipient makes, the less SSI benefits there will be. If the person received more than what he or she is entitled to, it must be repaid. Other wages or income sources might also need to be reported. If the person lives with a spouse, that person's income must be reported. A recipient who is under 18 and lives with his or her parents must report their income. If the person is not a citizen of the U.S. and has sponsors, their income must be reported even if the person does not live with the sponsors. When these people stop working, this must also be reported.

The SSI recipient is required to report his or her monthly wages and the wages of anyone else who falls into the above categories. If the recipient has a representative payee to assist them, the representative payee is the one who must report the recipient's wages. The wages can be reported via telephone or mobile phone. If that is not possible, it can be done by mail, fax, or by bringing the pay stubs to the local Social Security office. All pay -- overtime, bonuses and vacation pay -- must be reported in addition to regular wages. The report must be provided no later than the 10th day of every month.

Disabled individuals who are approved for SSI need to be cognizant of the various necessities to maintain their benefits. This includes income reporting. If there is an issue with income reporting or any other problem related to SSI benefits, a lawyer who is experienced in Social Security disability cases may be able to provide assistance.

Source:, "Reporting Wages When You Receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI)," accessed on Feb. 27, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • "Thank you so much for your constant help on getting SSI disability for my girl. Without ya'll I wouldn't have gotten her the health and financial help. If there is anyth..." Jennifer B, Tennessee stars
  • "We got your letter that you were closing our case. We just wanted to thank you for all the help you have given our family. Thanks again." James B, Alabama stars
  • "I really appreciate the service I received. Everyone was exceptionally courteous. Thank you." Robin H, Tennessee stars
  • "My friend said you were the best and she was right. I see why she said she'd never use another attorney. Keep doing what you are doing. Thank you." Glenn B, Tennessee stars
Email Us For Response

Need A Free Consultation?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact Us For A Free Consultation

We serve clients throughout the United States. We charge no fees in disability cases unless we recover benefits for you. To schedule your free consultation with a Social Security Disability lawyer, call 800-945-4950 or contact us by email.

Chattanooga, TN Dale Buchanan & Associates
1206 Pointe Centre Drive
Suite 110
Chattanooga, TN 37421

Map & Directions

Knoxville, TN Dale Buchanan & Associates
1111 Northshore Drive
Suite S-280
Knoxville, TN 37919

Map & Directions

Nashville, TN Dale Buchanan & Associates
1 Vantage Way
Suite 230
Nashville, TN 37228

Map & Directions

Jackson, TN
*Satellite Location
Jackson, TN 38305

Map & Directions

Manchester, TN
209 E. McLean St
Manchester, TN 37355

Map & Directions

Florence, AL
*Satellite Location
Florence, AL 35630

Map & Directions

Rome, GA
*Satellite Location
Rome, GA 30165

Map & Directions